If you find this page that means you are looking for a way to reset windows 8 password without losing your files.
Did you forget your PC password? This might happen on a retired PCs or friends’ PC, or even your own PC, it is possible. I want to show us how to reset windows 8 password without losing files.
Let’s get to work. Get a Windows 8/8.1 bootable DVD or flash drive with windows 8/8.1 you can read how to create a bootable flash drive
Steps on how to reset windows 8 password
- Insert the disk,
- Restart the PC,
- While starting set boot device to DVD ROM or flash drive as the case may be,
- When prompted to press any key to boot from the medium you selected, hit any key,
- Windows will start loading files after loading files choose language and click next,
- Click repair your computer on the next screen,
- Click on the second option which is “troubleshoot”,
- On the next screen click on advanced and then command prompt,
- In the cmd program type “c:” without quotes and hit enter,
- Type “cd windows” without quotes and hit enter,
- Type “cd system32” without quotes,
- Hit enter and type “ren utilman.exe utilmandd.exe” without quote and hit enter, actually, this step is to rename the utility manager to another name,
- Type “copy cmd.exe utilman.exe” without quote and hit enter, this step will make a copy of cmd.exe and rename it utilman.exe,
- Then type exit to close the cmd or simply click the close button,
Restart your PC
- Restart your PC, on getting to the windows login page,
- Click the ease of access icon at the bottom left corner of the screen, this will launch the command prompt program,
- In the cmd type “control userpasswords2” without quotes and hit enter, a window will pop-up like the picture below,
- Click on the user you wish to reset its password and click on reset password,
- Type any password of your choice or leave it blank if you don’t need passwords and click ok
- Now close the command prompt and log in.
You should have logged in successfully, and that is all on how to reset windows 8 password
Now to revert the changes we made.
Thats all on how to reset windows 8 password without loosing files.