If you find this page that means you are looking for a way to reset windows 8 password without losing your files.
Did you forget your PC password? This might happen on a retired PCs or friends’ PC, or even your own PC, it is possible. I want to show us how to reset windows 8 password without losing files.
Let’s get to work. Get a Windows 8/8.1 bootable DVD or flash drive with windows 8/8.1 you can read how to create a bootable flash drive
Steps on how to reset windows 8 password
- Insert the disk,
- Restart the PC,
- While starting set boot device to DVD ROM or flash drive as the case may be,
- When prompted to press any key to boot from the medium you selected, hit any key,
- Windows will start loading files after loading files choose language and click next,
- Click repair your computer on the next screen,
- Click on the second option which is “troubleshoot”,
- On the next screen click on advanced and then command prompt,
- In the cmd program type “c:” without quotes and hit enter,
- Type “cd windows” without quotes and hit enter,
- Type “cd system32” without quotes,
- Hit enter and type “ren utilman.exe utilmandd.exe” without quote and hit enter, actually, this step is to rename the utility manager to another name,
- Type “copy cmd.exe utilman.exe” without quote and hit enter, this step will make a copy of cmd.exe and rename it utilman.exe,
- Then type exit to close the cmd or simply click the close button,
Restart your PC
- Restart your PC, on getting to the windows login page,
- Click the ease of access icon at the bottom left corner of the screen, this will launch the command prompt program,
- In the cmd type “control userpasswords2” without quotes and hit enter, a window will pop-up like the picture below,
- Click on the user you wish to reset its password and click on reset password,
- Type any password of your choice or leave it blank if you don’t need passwords and click ok
Now close the command prompt and log in.
You should have logged in successfully, and that is all on how to reset windows 8 password
Now to revert the changes we made.
Thats all on how to reset windows 8 password without loosing files.